Saturday, September 12, 2009

EATS! or DRINKS! "Sun Tea". Or, "Summer in a Mason Jar, Part I"






Aaaaahhhh.


All the hype about Sun Tea has really got me riled.  I mean, who didn't grow up drinking sun tea?  I've NEVER heard of someone getting sick from sun tea.  Who are these chumps?  And really, does someone have to tell you not to drink tea that is, and I quote here, "...thick and syrupy.  Those ropy strands are bacteria."  

I mean, eeeeyewwwwwww.

So for all you lily-livered, yella-bellied, nancy prom queens out there, here's a warning and some really insane precautions you can take, if you must:

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/suntea.asp

For those of us that usually keep our containers clean using hot, soapy water, and honestly, think that cleaning something with bleach is a bit much, this is what ya' do:








Get a large, 1 gallon container.  A clean container.  One made of clear glass.  I'm very fond of this one:




Then grab 5 family size bags of tea, we're fond of this kind:





Now, fill the jar with cold, fresh water.  Set the jar in blazing, brilliant sun for about 5 hours (or until your desired strength).  Then remove bags and refrigerate immediately.  The one caution I know is that sun tea, or any tea for that matter, should not sit out for any length of time after brewing. 


And enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Love what you see when you walk out your front door.