Friday, April 17, 2009

EATS! Brownies. BUH-rownies... OOOOOoooooo.

brownie



I love these brownies. 



Simple, old recipe.  
If you want to make them XTRA special, use Dutch process cocoa, extra-fine baker's sugar, and double-strength vanilla.  Those are commercial bakers' secrets, folks. But you know what?  These are so classic, so comforting, so The Quintessential Brownie - you really don't need all that stuff.  'Specially if you're like us and have to order that stuff online, just to try it once - and yes, its worth it. mmMMMMMMmmm its worth it once.  Mess with my recipes, please. Make them "yers".  My only orders are - NEVER use artificial vanilla.  Bplechhh. Thuuhht.  Just. Just. Eewww.

Brownies, Basic Fast

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/4 cups baker's sugar, or regular granulated
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional (B - my husband - prefers these OMITTED)
1 cup melted butter
4 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate, chunks, optional (if I'm feeling naughty...)

Directions:

350.  Grease and dust a 9x13 with cocoa powder. Remove excess. Set aside.

Mix dry well.  Mix in wet, spread in pan evenly.  Bake 25-30 minutes. DON'T overbake - the toothpick test WORKS here, folks.  It should come out without any goo.

For thicker, richer, gooier brownies, bake in a 9 x 9 dish and kind of double the cooking time.  I did that once, just for me and a big bowl of Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream, but I forgot to write the time down - so just do the jiggle and toothpick tests.

BIG Notes:  Makes a great gift in a jar, send with a really cute recipe card!  I'll get one up soon, when I get around to figuring out this Bloggin' Stuff!

Let's go in for a closer look, no?
Buhhhrownie
That just felt right.

1 comment:

  1. Now WHY didn't I discover you had a blog BEFORE I made brownies today? The family says they are fine...but I didn't like them. Too cakey? If that's a word. Anyway, I will be trying your recipe next time!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete

Love what you see when you walk out your front door.